How do you use essential oils?
Now that we have looked at how essential oils work, let's take a look at how to use them.
The great thing about using Young Living Essential Oils is that the instructions are right on the bottle! No remembering!
There are three different basic methods to follow when using essential oils. Every oil is not necessarily used the same way, but that's when having the instructions on the bottle comes in handy dandy!
A term to familiarize yourself with is carrier oil. This is not an oil like vegetable oil that you would cook with, but rather an oil that does not alter the effects of the essential oil. Oils such as grapeseed oil, coconut oil, or a V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex are recommended to use as carrier oils. A carrier oil is what you will use to dilute an essential oil.
1. Topical Application
The first way to use oils is to apply them topically. Not all, but many are safe to apply directly to the skin. Some may be applied neat (meaning without dilution), and others need to be diluted. Oils that need to be diluted are called hot oils.
You should always apply an oil on a small area of skin when using it for the first time to test the sensitivity of your skin.
Topical application includes the areas of massage, acupuncture, acupressure, compresses, layering, adding to bath water or shower.
When applying oils to the skin, there are several different areas you may apply them based on the problem you are treating. Vita Flex points are used often, as well as the back, bottom of the feet, and the neck.
Using a cold-air diffuser sends a fine mist of essential oils into the air around it where it may remain for several hours.
This sends the aromatic oils all through your space, and allows you to receive the benefits. Diffusing is a great way to get the effects of the oil without applying it topically. It is also a great way to disinfect and keep illness from spreading in your house (a super plus if you have kids running around!).
If you are going to use oils, I highly recommend investing in a diffuser. I use mine every day!
A few rules when diffusing:
1. Never mix two blends. It's ok to put a single oil with a blend or a single oil with another single oil, but mixing two blends can alter how the oils work together. Remember they are specially designed to work together in that blend, and mixing them can change things up.
2. Follow the directions for how long you should diffuse each oil. Remember, these are on the bottle!
3. DietarySOME oils are safe to use as dietary supplements; however, it is extremely important to note that not all are safe to ingest. Be extra careful to follow the guidelines listed on the bottle of each individual oil. If there are no instructions for dietary use, don't ingest it.
I use dietary oils daily. I put some in my water, and some I combine in a veggie capsule.
They are very easy to take when using a capsule - and the capsule keeps you from tasting some of those strong, yucky ones.
A word about kids and essential oils:
Children don't need to use oils at their normal potency. Young Living has some kid-friendly oils (a must have for every mom) but if you want to use other oils on them, they need to be diluted significantly.
Most oils can be diluted for children by adding 15-30 drops of the oil to 1 oz. of carrier oil.
See? Using oils is not difficult at all! Most of the time, I use my oils in my diffuser, or I apply them topically. They make these awesome rollerball lids that make applying oils super easy too!
Hopefully this helped you understand how to use oils - it's really quite simple.
Part Three of this series is going to conclude the series with a few good facts to know as well as some of my favorite oils to use on a regular basis.
Want to start Young Living Essential Oils?
- Go to youngliving.com
- Click on “Become a Member.” – Becoming a member means that you purchase a starter kit. You can choose from any of the available kits. Once you purchase a kit, you are a Wholesale Member which means you receive Young Living products at a 24% discount. No monthly order is required and no quota has to be reached. Simply order what you want when you want – you will receive the discount.
- Choose the box “I was referred by a Young Living member, and I have his or her member number.”
- Enter the following number in the Sponsor and Enroller ID space: 2894356
- Click “Continue.”
- Fill out Member Info form. Click “Agree and Continue.”
- Choose your Starter Kit.
- Complete Shipping and Payment Information.
- CONGRATS! You’ve joined the Young Living family!
If you join under my Enroller ID (#2894356), I will send you this Essential Oils reference book worth $25. Best book ever to help you understand how and when to use your oils. Literally, It says it all!
If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to contact me!