Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Essential Oils: Part One

I'm so excited to start this series about Essential Oils! Even in my own life, I am using them more and more every day. In fact, I just went through my first cold since I've started using oils, and I was able to get over my symptoms faster than any over-the-counter meds have ever helped me.

But let's get back to today's focus: What is an essential oil, and how does it work?

What Is It? 


An essential oil is by definition, "an aromatic, volatile liquid that is within many plants." This liquid is usually extracted by a very delicate steam distillation process. An essential oil is a natural resource that is a highly concentrated and very potent liquid containing powerful antimicrobials (antibacterial properties). It's a very complex structure containing hundreds of natural chemicals.

In my terms, an essential oil comes from taking very large quantities of a plant, sending them through a very delicate distillation process, and gleaning the liquid produced from the plant. We're talking about a potency far above what you would get from taking a supplement or eating part of the same plant.


Let me go ahead and insert here how important it is to make sure that when you use essential oils, you use 100% pure, therapeutic grade oils. There are many oils available at health stores, or even at your local pharmacy that claim to be essential oils, but they contain many synthetics in them. Lavender is one of the most common oils that is replicated using synthetic materials. THESE WILL NOT PRODUCE THE SAME RESULTS that a 100% pure, therapeutic grade essential oil will. That's why I use Young Living. I know that I am getting the best quality of oils from an established and reputable company.


How Does It Work? 


Because essential oils are so potent and efficient, it is important to have a basic knowledge of them to use them safely. One thing I love about Young Living's oils is that the bottle tells me how to use them and if they need to be diluted or can be applied neat (just as they are).

Essential oils work so well because they are able to "penetrate cell membranes and travel through the blood and tissues" of the body. In fact, they can travel through the body with their effects in a matter of minutes.

Without getting into all of the chemical, nerdy talk (trust me, I feel like I've been back in chemistry class as I've studied and studied over how this stuff works), I will give you a list of what the different chemical makeups in an essential oil do:

* work as an antiseptic, have antimicrobial properties, soothe inflamed tissue, affect emotions and hormonal balance, energize, cleanse, contain antiviral properties, produce calming and anti-depressant effects, relieve stress, reduce blood pressure, act in cell regeneration, decongest, reduce appetite, and contain anti fungal and anti parasitic properties.

Essential oils are the essence of aromatherapy. It truly is amazing how the scent of an oil can even affect mood (This is an area I was super skeptical about until I studied it out). There is a small part of your olfactory system (what you smell with) called the Olfactory bulb that processes the aroma and sends signals to your brain. Here's what happens you smell something:

AROMA -----> OLFACTORY BULB -----> IMPULSES TO BRAIN -----> LIMBIC SYSTEM


Once the brain has sent messages to the Limbic system based on the aroma, the effects of the smell can stimulate hormones from the hypothalamus (produces energy, youth, and longevity hormones). The Limbic system has a direct connection to brain parts that control your heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, memory, stress levels, and hormonal balance. Yes, smells are that powerful! 

I know this may be a lot to swallow at one time. However, I hope you can see in a small way how essential oils work and effect the body. 

Part Two of this series is going to focus on how to use essential oils. We'll take a brief look at different ways to use oils. 






Want to start Young Living Essential Oils?


  • ·      Go to youngliving.com
  • ·      Click on “Become a Member.” – Becoming a member means that you purchase a starter kit. You can choose from any of the available kits. Once you purchase a kit, you are a Wholesale Member which means you receive Young Living products at a 24% discount. No monthly order is required and no quota has to be reached. Simply order what you want when you want – you will receive the discount.
  • ·      Choose the box “I was referred by a Young Living member, and I have his or her member number.”
  • ·      Enter the following number in the Sponsor and Enroller ID space: 2894356
  • ·      Click “Continue.”
  • ·      Fill out Member Info form. Click “Agree and Continue.”
  • ·      Choose your Starter Kit.
  • ·      Complete Shipping and Payment Information.
  • ·      Checkout.
  • ·      CONGRATS! You’ve joined the Young Living family!


If you join under my Enroller ID (#2894356), I will send you this Essential Oils reference book worth $25. Best book ever to help you understand how and when to use your oils. Literally, It says it all!



If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to contact me!
                                                         
919.931.5253

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read feedback from you! Leave your comments here.